Palampur is a slope station and a city organization arranged in the Kangra District in the Indian territory of Himachal Pradesh. It is encircled by pine backwoods and flanked by the Dhauladhar ranges. The town gets its name from the nearby word pulum, signifying “much water”. There are various streams moving from the mountains to the fields from Palampur. The mix of greenery, snowclad mountains and water gives Palampur a particular look.
The name of the city gets from the word pulum, signifying “bunches of water”, in nearby speech.
Palampur is a significant town situated in Kangra Valley. It is a renowned slope station and was before a piece of the Jalandhar realm. The town appeared when Dr. Jameson, Superintendent of Botanical Gardens, presented the tea shrubbery from Almora in 1849. The shrubbery flourished thus did the town which turned into a focal point of the European tea domain proprietors with a special case of the acclaimed (previous) Wah Tea Estate which was claimed by Nawab Muhammad Hayat Khan and his relatives, until 1947. From that point forward, the Kangra tea of Palampur has been known globally.
The principal head administrator of free India, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru visited Palampur in 1941 when it was as yet British India. There is a Nehru Chowk in Palampur to remember this occasion.
During the second 50% of the nineteenth century, with the accomplishment of tea bequests in the Palampur territory, the first settlement began creating. In 1888, it was made a tehsil settle, by moving something very similar from Bhawarna. The tea domain proprietors urged the organization to bring foundation like St. Paul’s Senior Secondary School, Palampur, universities and clinic. It additionally turned into a focal point of workers occupied with the culling of tea leaves and pressing, transportation and advertising thereof.
The seismic tremor of 1905 remaining a path of obliteration. Accordingly, building style, projections, and building material must be altered. The tehsil complex, school, and church towards T-Bud Hotel were worked during the British Period. Subsequent after laying of the railroad line for the hydro-electric undertaking at Joginder Nagar in 1927 and the establishment of the rail route station and staff quarters, development movement developed quick. An expansion in the work, prompted interest around there, whereby diverse improvement including streets occurred.
In 1947, Sobha Singh, a notable contemporary painter moved from Punjab to Andretta and built up his specialty exhibition. He painted craftsmanship pieces identified with Punjabi culture and shot into unmistakable quality as a craftsman. After 1946, the territorial linkages of town began improving. A military station was set up at Holta, an essential area of the town. CSK Himachal Pradesh Agricultural University was set up in which Dhauladhar Hostel was introduced on 15 March 1985 which end up being the venturing stone of the college’s prosperity, other than the foundation of Indian Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Complex (Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology). Numerous workplaces at the degree of development relating to Electricity, Housing Board, Public wellbeing and PWD (B&R) were found. Vacationer convenience like T-Bud Hotel by Himachal Tourism Development Corporation and other recreation inns were built.
Palampur is at 32.12°N 76.53°E, at a stature of 1472 m meters above ocean level. It is in the northwestern locale of Himachal Pradesh in north India and is just 30 km from the slope station of Dharamshala.