Himachal Tourist Places
Dalhousie is a beautiful, quiet and peaceful small town of North India, famous among the honeymooners. Away from the maddening crowds of plains, Dalhousie is surrounded with attractive cottages, villas, sky touching deodar and pine trees and evergreen ornamental shrubs that makes it one of the most preferred tourists destination in Himachal Pradesh.
All local site seeing can be done on foot in Dalhousie. The main tourist attractions are Panchpula, Kalatop and Khajiar lake.
Places of Interest
Panchpula, a beautiful spot, is barely 3 kms. from G.P.O. On the way to Panchpula is Satdhara springs gurgling with refreshing water, believed to contain some medicinal properties. Panchpula stream is the main source of water supply to Dalhousie and Bahloon. The stream springs from the north side of DayanKund and runs down a picturesque ravine to the waterworks of Panchpula. There is an elegant monument erected at Panchpula where several streams meet at one point. This monument, a samadhi was built in memory of great revolutionary Sardar Ajit Singh who breathed his last in Panchpula. There is a Tourism restaurant and several chai shops in Panchpula, that offer hot and cold beverages and snacks.
Kynance is a private residential building of Dharamvirs. This building was constructed during the year 1933 by Dr. N.R.Dharamvir of Lahore. This building acquired historical significance due to the reason that Neta Ji Subhash Chander Bose, a class fellow of the wife of Dr. Dharamvir, stayed with them for a period of 7 months beginning May, 1937. Before arriving in Dalhousie, Neta Ji was in British Jail where his health had deteriorated. On the request of his younger brother the British High Court released Neta Ji on parole on health grounds. It brought Neta Ji to the climate of Dalhousie. Kynance is barely 50 kms. from G.P.O. It lies hidden from the public eye below the road. An insignificant looking board bearing the name of Kynance hangs from a tree and is discernible to only those tourists who have an eye for details.
Just approximatly 1 km from G.P.O. is a charming natural spot called Subhash Baoli. Neta ji Subhash Chander Bose during his 7 months sojourn in Dalhousie in 1937 is believed to have spent most of his days by the side of this water body, meditating amidst dense woods of Cedar and meeting his party workers. This place lies on the G.P.O. – JandriGaht Road. A canopy with seating facilities has been created by the local administration at this place.
ST. ANDREW’S CHURCH:
St. Andrew’s Church commonly known as the Church of Scotland was built in the year 1903 at Baloon by Protestant Christians. The Church is approximately one and half kms. from Dalhousie’s bus stand. The Church building is in good condition, recently a brick boundary wall has been erected around it to save the building from mischief mongers.
ST. PATRICK’S CHURCH:
This Church is situated in Baloon, Dalhousie Cantt., on Military Hospital road approximately 2 kms. from main bus stand. St. Patrick’s Church is the largest church in Dalhousie having a seating capacity of 300 persons in its main hall. The Church was built in the year 1909 and the dressed-stone building is still in good condition. This Church was built exclusively from contribution made by officers and ranks of the British Army. At present the Church is managed and maintained by the Catholic Diocese of Jalandhar.
ST. FRANCIS’ CHURCH:
This Catholic Church is a very prominent monument on the Subhash Chowk. This Church was built in the year 1894 from the contributions made by Army and Civil Officers and Civilians. This Church is managed and maintained by the Cathoilic Diocese of Jalandhar. St. Francis’ Church on Prtrain hill is believed to have been built on the lines of a certain church in England. Beautiful glass work and intricate stone work can be seen in the Church. Service is conducted every Sunday. By the side of the Church is the residence of the Priest. The building is called Alverna better known to the local people as “Lambe Chole Wale Padri Ki Kothi”.
ST. JONH’S CHURCH:
This Church stands on the Gandhi Chowk approximately 2 kms. from the main bus stand of Dalhousie. This Church was the first to be built after the town of Dalhousie was founded. Prior to 1863 a wooden structure stood at this place. The idea to build a stone structure took birth with the arrival of Rev. John H. Pratt who came to Dalhousie on 11-04-1863 and inspired the Christian community to build a permanent church building at this place. Building of this church is a copy of Roman Catholics church of England but this church belongs to Protestants. The church building stands in a good condition but its surroundings demand much better care. Service is conducted on every Sunday.
LAXMI NARAYAN TEMPLE :
This temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and was built more than 150 years ago. The temple enshrines a beautiful image of Lord Vishnu. The temple is frequented by local devotees. The temple is located in Sadar Bazar approximately 200 mtrs. from Subhash Chowk.